- 5 ECTS
On the basis of
IMT4501 XML and Web Technologies
Expected learning outcomes
After successful completion, the students will be capable of:
- Explaining and discussing the semantic web principles and semantic web standards
- Discussing alternative formats for representing metadata
- The application, creation and evaluation of ontologies
- Applying and evaluating semantic web concepts and techniques in web service composition
- Semantic web basics
- Semantic web contents
- Metadata frameworks
- Ontology languages, authoring and management
- Applications of metadata and ontologies
- Semantic web services
- Semantic web standards
Net Support Learning
Teaching Methods (additional text)
The course will be offered both as an ordinary campus course and as a course that is offered in a flexible way to off-campus students. Lecture notes, e-lectures and other types of e-learning material will be offered through an LMS. Communication between the teachers and the students, and among the students, will be facilitated by the LMS.
Form(s) of Assessment
Written exam, 4 hours
Evaluation of Project(s)
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Exam counts 60%
- Project counts 40%
- Both parts must be passed individually.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
Internal and external examinors evaluate the exam. Internal examiner evaluates the project.
Ordinary re-sit for the written exam.
An intermediate, mid-term report must be handed in and be approved to be able to pass the course.
The Semantic Web: Semantics for Data and Services on the Web
by Vipul Kashyap (Author), Christoph Bussler (Author), Matthew Moran (Author)
Publisher: Springer; 1 edition (September 25, 2008)
- Note handouts and research papers