Expected learning outcomes
The aim is to enable students to understand technical English and to express themselves in English both in writing and especially orally with emphasis on geomatic themes.
- Reading: read English language technical material and explain it accurately in Norwegian
- Translating: explain Norwegian language technical material using written and spoken English
- Writing: letters, CVs, invoices, reports and technical papers
- Understanding of English technical and "jargon".
Form(s) of Assessment
Form(s) of Assessment (additional text)
- Oral Exam, individually
- Evaluation of Project(s)
Each part must be individually approved.
Alphabetical Scale, A(best) – F (fail)
At least two internal examiners
By agreement with the responsible lecturer
Tour to London.
- Miscellaneous English dictionaries, e.g. as published by Oxford University Press
- Miscellaneous Norwegian-English and English-Norwegian dictionaries, e.g. as published by Kunnskapsforlaget
- Ansteinsson, J & Reiersen, O. (1998) Norsk-Engelsk Teknisk Ordbok. Trondheim. Bruns forlag. (ISBN: 82-7028-496-3)
- Statens kartverk. (1989) Ordbok for kart og landmåling. Hønefoss. Statens kartverk. (ISBN: 82-90408-97-8)
Replacement course for
GEO1051 - Technical English
Tour to London. The class wil arrange visits to places of technical interest as approved by the responsible lecturer. Students will be expected to contribute to the cost of the tour.