Guidelines for Social Media
Guidelines for use of social media for employees at Gjøvik University College (GUC)
Universities and university colleges shall promote and defend academic freedom. The institutions has a responsibility to secure that teaching, research and scientific and artistic development work keeps a high academic level, and exercises in accordance with acknowledged scientific, artistic, pedagogic and ethical principles ( Act relating to universities and university colleges § 1-5, pkt. 1).
All employees at GUC who is blogging, participates in social media and/or are public active while they are representing GUC have a big responsibility. GUC’s guidelines for social media are made to guide individual employees in this landscape. The guidelines are also to be followed if you as a private person can be regarded as acting on behalf of GUC, or participates in discussions concerning GUC.
These guidelines are a supplement to GUC’s ethical guidelines , so please get acquainted with these as well.
Be open about where you work and that you are representing Gjøvik University College.
- Use your own name and inform that you are working at GUC. Do not write anonymously.
- Remember that nothing is private on the Internet
- If you want to use GUC’s logo, remember that you also represent the university college in a different way than as a private person. If you are in doubt, please contact the market- and information department.
Protect confidential information, colleagues, students and collaborating partners.
- You need consent to publish photos and such of students and colleagues. Information with a declaration of confidentiality or other confidential information shall not be published.
- Executive work shall not be done in social media.
- If you are challenged, refer to the appropriate channels
Consider the consequences before you publish something
- Be polite and respectful
- Discuss case, not person
- Be aware of conflicts and verbal battles
- Be the first to admit mistakes in what you have posted on the web
- Internet has no undo button, the things you publish will be available for a long time, and will easily be communicated by others
- If you want to remove previous posts, please inform that you have done so
Speak the truth
- Be honest when you make assertions. If you submit uncertain plans, please inform about it.
- Check the facts if you are uncertain when you are about to answer questions or comment on a theme concerning GUC
If you are uncertain or have questions, please contact the Marketing and Information Unit .